Friday, November 20, 2015

Images


Images. 

(Artist Jean Jullien)
They speak louder than words sometimes.

Each image you see produces a reaction.
 A thought, an emotion, something that moves you. 





I'm sure you noticed that filter Facebook created for Paris. It's quite possible that even YOU decided to get that filter and show your support. And while I may come across insensitive and rude, I really want to know what you think you accomplished by changing your facebook picture?

I realize you will say something along the lines of, "Well, Katelan, that was kind of rude, but I changed it because I wanted to show my support for France and for those that were lost in the attack. I wanted to show them that we are united."

As humans, we should all want to be united and I love that you are wanting to show your support but what does it do?

"The Filter? It helps create unity, like I said. It shows that I care about them and they aren't alone."

Again, that is absolutely great. We should have unity and we should be there for people in times of tragedy, especially when they have been there for us in our horrible times, but that being said, what about the others who are attacked and killed for no real purpose?

"What others? Oh. The muslims?"

Yeah. But not just the Muslims.

Your facebook filter does send a message, however, you aren't grasping the whole picture.

I've seen a lot of images lately, about the Paris attacks, ISIS (Daesh is what I will now refer them as) and refugees, which have stirred up a lot of conversations, debates and just plain hate. While I love how ingeniously beautiful the Eiffel tower peace sign is, the picture below caught my attention more so than the peace sign. 
(Artist Lee Marej)
People were shocked by the Paris attacks, naturally so. It's a safe place. People vacation there, it isn't a war zone, it doesn't have real beef with anyone to cause people to be in fear while living or visiting there. I understand that it's not a place where people are bombed and I see why it is receiving a lot of attention. However, what makes me sad is how little the places that are in war, the people whom live in fear, the people who get bombed daily, the places that have a higher and higher death toll, are not getting the attention they need. 

Or, if it does get covered, briefly, I see people say, "It's been happening for years. It's really just noise now."

Does that mean that we should continue to ignore?

You might say, "Oh, well, it's a third-world country. It doesn't really affect me, so it's not a high priority." Which I get, it doesn't personally affect you now, but don't you think that in the future it could? Don't you think that the tiny little bubble that you live in could somehow pop and expose you to the real world? It did for some people in France, when they got attacked. None of them were expecting a horrific event to take place. You know why? Because they live in a free, safe environment. "Where things like that aren't supposed to happen."

Oh, I'm sorry, but where exactly are they supposed to happen?
Syria, Sudan, Iraq, Somalia, and other parts of Africa are just a few places where wars, genocides, and destruction, are happening right now. And why are they supposed to happen?

I haven't been totally honest while writing this and I want to come clean.
I'm a hypocrite.

For the past 25 years, I have lived in a bubble, thinking that nothing can hurt me. Countless of times I have taken for granted the kind of life I live. I don't have to worry about vacating my home because men with guns are forcing me out, or relocating a bunch of times to stay safe. I don't have to worry about getting food or seeking shelter. I'm not going to get killed for the type of religion I practice, or the things I preach. Hell, I won't face anything by posting my opinions online. People will surely judge me, but I wont be hunted down and killed because I'm talking about the injustices of the world or the bad people who make it happen or the people, like me, who have lived in a bubble for so long they don't know what actually helping looks like. I have it easy. You probably have it easy.

But all of these places that don't, will continually have to live a life that they shouldn't have to live if we keep turning the other cheek and keep living within our bubbles. I haven't fully broken out of mine, but I'm tired of living in a world where I see hate spreading faster than fire. I want things to change and the only way for things to change is to start with yourself.

I'm not changing my facebook picture, because personally I don't feel that helps. I have nothing against people who do change their picture, and I know that it is all for good intentions, however, I feel it isolates the ones that really need the attention more. I stand for humanity and I hope you do too.

Please don't make prejudices on people who do not deserve them. Please research and don't make accusations. Please realize that the world is much bigger than you think and that not everyone is bad, because in reality there is a lot of good.

Please open your eyes and hearts and look outside your bubble. There are so many images you could be missing.






No comments: