Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day Twenty: I'm so thankful for my family.

Today was a wonderful day. Family is really the most important thing to life.
I thought today would be a lot harder without my grandma being here then it actually was.

I was sitting down with my cousin, Meghan, and she told me that my dad wanted me to have a ring that my grandma cherrished very much. The ring that had her and her childrens birthstones. Meghan had it, so she offered it to me. Of course I wanted it, but Meghan had been holding on to it, and I didn't want to take it from her. Grandma meant so much to both of us, I didn't feel like it was fair of me to take it. As we were talking, she told me that she had a bunch of grandma's things like pictures of grandma and small materials like that, and that I should take the ring because I didn't really have anything of my grandmas. At that point I had tears running down my cheeks. I was so toched by my cousins words. I love my cousin dearly always have and always will and that moment we shared, I don't think I will ever forget it. It meant so much to me for her to do that, to give me a ring that meant a lot to our grandmother. It was so selfless of her, and I am so grateful for that. She is so much like grandma.

I didn't even think the ring was going to fit, but i put it on and oddly it fit my finger. And not just any finger, the finger that my favorite ring used to reside until I lost it. It almost seems like it was fate. Like I was meant to have her ring.

All I can say is I love my family.
Betsy made a wonderful meal. Lynn made delcious bread. Grandpa and Craig enjoyed some football, Paula got to see her baby brother, Jason and Meghan actually came and I got to enjoy being with loved ones. Turkey, football, family, laughs and pie. It made for a good day.

After everyone left, and Craig and Betsy went to sleep, my grandpa and I got to bond. I got to hear a lot about his childhood, how he has a piano thats been sitting under the bed for 15 years and how his sex life stopped after a certain age (we both don't know why he told me this!) But the most important thing he talked about was his kids. You could hear how proud he is by the way he speaks of them. It was another touching moment. Being a father though, he was worried about Lynn and Mark not having a companion, someone to grow old with. I think without grandma he realizes how lonely life can be, and how important grandma was and is. I personally think he is doing really well for losing the love of his life, but i know he misses her dearly and once again I was touched. I hope someday I can be in a relationship as loving as thiers.

I should go to sleep. I have to wake up soon and travel to New York.

I'm so very thankful.

No comments: